5.17.2008

*sigh*

Well, despite the Dr. being a quack, we are going to start trying to do something about GraceAnne's weight. We're not going to be agressive or anything, but we're going to put her on a new summer schedule. I wouldn't worry about it at all, (like I said yesterday, Allan and I were both teeny kids), but the fact of the matter is she was a little heavier at her 3 year check-up and about 2.5" shorter, so that part of it freaks me out a little bit.

So our new days will include scheduled snacks and meals, not just when we feel hungry. Up until now, GraceAnne has always had full access to a "snack drawer." The drawer has cheese sticks, yogurt, apples, carrot sticks, apple sauce, (no sugar added!), and depending on the day/week, other healthy fruits and snacks. As long as she asks first, she can have whatever she wants, whenever she wants from that drawer. I guess this will still be the case for the most part, but we're also going to structure in specific snack times and meal times. This method will probably make it much easier for me with Violet, too. I've never been a particularly organized person, so a kick in the pants will probably help out with this personality flaw.

So today for breakfast, instead of just a bowl of cereal, she had a bowl of cereal with oats mixed in, (I used to do this all the time, but I've been slacking. BAD MOMMY!), and 4 slices of apple. We cruised through snack-time because I was busy and we ate breakfast so late, but for lunch I made "steak" (read: the only way I can get her to eat a hamburger patty is to cut it up and call it steak!), corn on the cob and french fries. Yesterday I got fancy and made Spinach Pesto with veggie pasta. YUM! I also boiled some eggs for snacks in between meals. On the menu this evening is broccoli and chicken risotto. GraceAnne LOVES to help with risotto. Lots of stirring for her to do.

So you can see, (or maybe I'm as unclear as I fear I may be!), that we're trying to shove lots of extra veggies and protein into spots that they haven't appeared in some time. I really did used to always cook healthy food--my child is probably the only child on planet earth who adores broccoli and raw mushrooms--but with the onset of the third trimester sleepies, I let it slip. Hopefully I can transition back into mommy-of-the-year in the kitchen easily. Lord knows I could use the extra doses of healthy food to kick this baby-fat, too.

Wish us luck!

No comments: