12.08.2009

ICE!

We're cramming holiday festivities into this weekend. Why? Look at that belly up there! We're talking any day now, peeps. Where is Baby Corbin? He might hang out until Rhiya gets here, (super cool with me, if I can manage to feel good like I did today!), or he might come see us this week. Who knows? At any rate, can you see that pretty garland on that pretty railing?? We decorated the house today for Christmas. We're way behind since we've been busy/tired/don't have a tree yet, but it feels SO GOOD to have some stuff up. I love having a house to decorate for Christmas! This is the first year we've actually been able to do things we want to do because A) we have a house and B) we live in the whole thing!

Then we went to Grapevine at the Gaylord Texan, (a really huge, extravagant hotel with lots of interesting stuff to see), to see ICE! They ship people in from China to carve statues out of ice. We're only slightly bundled in this picture because we weren't in the tent, but it got better.


We all had to wear parkas becuase it was NINE degrees in the tent!! NINE! We all had red noses, to be sure! It was a great time, but I was also reminded as to why I don't live in the north anymore.

This year everything was decorated like the Grinch who Stole Christmas. There were different types of ice--dyed ice, clear ice, etc. These people have some serious talent! They shipped in 2 billion pounds of ice over several weeks and every last detail was absolutely amazing!

This was at the end of the tour, and MAN were we cold by then! It took about 20 minutes to walk through and the exhibit included a 2-story ice slide and a giant nativity scene. We all had a blast and got Starbucks on the way home to warm up. The camera didn't want to work too well in there, so we mostly took videos. If Allan can teach me how to turn them into still photos, I'll post more pictures later.


Hope you're all having a great holiday season, too!

1 comment:

Gayle said...

Funny how we all react to where we are...you are excited to go see an ice show...we have the World Ice Carving Championships here every year and I go about every three years, but if I were there I'm sure I'd like to see something you don't look at twice. (How's that for a run-on sentence!). Great family times. Be positive. I know it's hard, but it's a better way. (I'm a Negative Nelly all the time...just ask the family!) Good luck with the baby!