9.16.2012

Don't Eat, Write!

Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"

What does that mean to me?  I kinda thought it was cute before doing this Reboot.  I guess cute is not the word I'm looking for.  I have been hungry in my life.  I mean eating one small meal a day for three months type of hungry.  I got down to 104 lbs and I was just not healthy.  (I'm 5'5") I know for a fact that we need to eat to live in this earthly body.  Being as I love to cook and bake, sometimes I live to eat. 

Don't get me wrong, I always praise the Creator, but I really had no control.  I could control not putting things in that I didn't want, but if I wanted it, I went out and got it and ate it.  I lived by my flesh.  It doesn't help that I'm pretty small and I can justify that it won't hurt me. 

Over the years, we've changed our diets a lot in this household.  I used to coupon and spend no more than $200/mo on food for our then family of 4.  I can say that we pretty much ate like typical Americans...out of boxes full of GMO (Genetically Modified Organisms) salt and sugar.  I got pretty convicted about that since I've always been a bit of a hippie and when Allan was in deep doo-doo with the VA over his cholesterol-AGAIN-we overhauled our eating.  Many more fresh fruits and veggies entered our lives at that time.


Then we watched Food, Inc. and we were forced to choose whether we would ignore those disgusting CAFOs (Confined Animal Feeding Operations) and keep eating the same meat and dairy or if we would do what we felt right as Christians, (since we are called to STEWARD the land and animals) and switch to pasture-raised meat.
This just kinda spilled into everyday choices.  What are organics and why are they important?  What have all those pesticides and herbicides done to us, or worse, our children?  What do we really think about our temples? (Our body being a temple of God and all) And a week ago I would have told you that all those things are very VERY important to me.  And they were.

But now evenmoreso.  For 5 days we ate only food that would help our systems kick out all the junk we've eaten over the last 30 & 40 years.  The last 2 days we've been drinking only juice (not Juicy-Juice, not a "juice blend" but REAL juice made out of real, organic produce) and water, and LOTS of it.  I am in no way "hungry."  The juices provide about 1700 calories per day.  I am more than free to make more juices and get more calories if I need.  I find that I am satisfied with just what is prescribed.  I am detoxing, with all the lovely side effects, and I *want* to eat.

And that is what it all boils down to for me, what I *want* versus what I *need* and what is good for me.  Food is so basic.  Like I said before, if I wanted it, I went out and got it.  I have done Daniel fasts over the years, but it was always just to survive it and be done.  This is different-this is to reboot who I am at every level.  That reads rather dramatically, but hopefully you get the jist.  We are REBOOTING our bodies, but only through Christ's strength (because I'd much rather go munch some popcorn and have a burger right now-pastured beef, of course!)  We are REBOOTING our minds by resetting our bodies to be aligned with what God created for us and what is good for us.  We are REBOOTING our spirits by realizing that controlling what goes into our body will produce a result of being able to control what we say, how we react, what we do, our motivations, etc. 

Except control isn't really what we're after.  Surrender is what we're after.  Surrender to Something bigger than us, Someone who cares more about us than even we do.  Surrender to a perfect will.  Surrender to a God Who will always know what is best for us, even when we disagree.  I want to be fully surrendered to Him, because when I try to take over, I feel hungry.


This post is real heavy on the food and not real heavy on the adoption stuff.  Maybe that's because at this moment, food is real heavy on my mind. HA!  I do want to take the time to say, though, we are almost to $200.  This is really more than I even had faith to get (faith of a mustardseed, for sure!) and that complete strangers have donated has just blown my mind.  God is SO good!  He is showing me that He will provide through others, this is something I still struggle with.  I NEED TO SURRENDER!  He who is able to do infinitely more than I could ask or imagine is working something big.  So thank you.  Thank you for donating, thank you for sharing, thank you for reading.  We only have a few more weeks, so thank you also, for bearing with me.

And one more thing, I would like to ask for prayers for one more group of kids...
They are Da'Shawn, Xravia, Ny'Teia, Tre'Drian, Drelon and D'Camren.  These precious babies need a forever home and I just know someone out there is going to be so immensely blessed to have them.  They are all under the age of 8.  I think I can see that God may be calling me to the sibling groups...there are so many and they are so hard to find families for.  So please, join me in lifting up these beautiful babies. 

We love and miss you!

No comments: