11.25.2009

What am I thankful for?

Thanksgiving is tomorrow. I feel like a giant cop-out cuz we're going to our pastor's house instead of actually cooking. To be fair, they did ask me to bring a turkey and stuffing. Cop-out again because the stuffing will be stove-top this year. With 2.5 weeks to go until our due date, I'm too tired to really concentrate and I'm definitely too tired to clean it up afterward! For the record, every year since I left home I've made a huge dinner for whoever I can. We invite anyone who doesn't have a place to go and I typically start cooking 3 days early. Everything is from scratch and SO TASTY! Maybe next year I'll get back on track. LOL

So what am I thankful for this year? This will get long. I intend for it to be that way. The more we count our Blessings, the less yelling there is, the less grumpy days there are...it's wonderful.
-that we are no longer living in our guest house
-that our house actually looks like a home and we're putting pictures up on the walls after 3.5 years
-that Allan graduated from school after 5 long years and 2 cross-country moves
-that he got the residency he wanted at the VA
-that even though this isn't what we thought it would be, it's stretching us and teaching us
-that we're expecting our 4th child
-that he's a boy! the girls are SO EXCITED! he will be spoiled rotten!
-that God is *slowly* turning me into the mom I would like to be, (so as not to bust me, I suppose!)
-that we found a church to call a home and a group of people to call a church family
-that I've found my ministry--cooking for the kids on Wednesday nights!
-for the 3 girls I already have and the beautiful young ladies they are growing into
-for my fabulous husband who is never disappointed, but continually thrilled with my growth
-for a new relationship with my little brother
-that Allan got his Segway and we are going to use it at the mall, Christmas shopping with GraceAnne on Saturday
-that even though the economy sucks we get to have a comfortable Christmas
-for Dave Ramsey
-for my mom and sisters, who drive me nuts, but I love them and miss them like crazy
-for our pretty ducks who give us 2 eggs per day (I haven't had to buy eggs in months!!)
-for our lovely backyard with the huge pecan trees
-for the Weds night bible study which has caused me to read EVERY day instead of just once in a while...amazing how much I've learned in the last couple months!
-for the chance to witness to people
-that in 23 days we will have all four of our babies under one roof!
-that I don't have to cook this year!!
-that this week the girls have been off of school
-that the hospital seems slightly open to "my way" of giving birth
-that my doctor has finally stopped harassing me about "his way" of giving birth
-that we get to have a doula with us for the labor
-for my great friends here in town who call just to say "what's up?" or stop by for movies and popcorn
-for my stupid, old, crappy car that I don't care if gets messed up by the kids cuz it's stupid, old and crappy--but it gets me where I need to go!!
-for my sweet 5-year-old who is singing praise songs in the dining room while she patiently waits to decorate gingerbread cookies
-for my sweet 19-mo-old who is standing next to me sucking her thumb and loving on her baby doll
-for my sweet 13-year-old step-daughter who is more of a joy to me than I let her know and still has the gumption to love me whole-heartedly
-that my children all love to give and share with others
-that my computer pooped for 5 days and I realized that despite being a bit of an inconvenience, my life really is better without it.

Truly, there is so much more, but I really need to get on this cookie decorating thing. I hope you all have a fabulous holiday and that you all have more Blessings than you can count. We love and miss you all!

1 comment:

Gayle said...

It's good to write down the things we are thankful. Makes it all that much more real. (Cute cupcakes!).