Weekend Away

On Friday evening, after cleaning the house so well I didn't even want to leave it, (Allan took the kids to see a friend in the Lubbock area, so it was quiet) I took off for Alla's Bed & Breakfast in Duncanville. It's only about 30 minutes away, so it was perfect for some "away" time, but not so far I couldn't come back if I got totally homesick.
When I got there, the innkeeper, (Alla) welcomed me with a HUGE hug and a warm greeting. (to the tune of WELCOME, MY BABY! in a beautiful eastern European accent)She walked me through the house and showed me to my room.
I had the house to myself that night and because it was late when I checked in, I primarily just found a place to eat and read my bible for a while. It was great to be able to sit and read quietly, I don't have much time to do that. In fact, as I type, I have children running around the kitchen hollaring and entertaining themselves/each other.
I had ordered the organic European breakfast. Alla said I could choose when to have it made by, so I asked for 8:30. That way I could "sleep in" (HEY...8am is sleeping in when your baby normally gets you up at 6!) eat and then start my day.
I had seen the pictures on her website, but even they could not prepare me for this feast! Everything was absolutely fantastic and considering I don't even *like* eggs, that's saying something. I had coffee imported from Germany and I didn't even have to add sugar. The crepes were served with homemade organic jams. I had the strawberry and it was TO LIVE FOR! I didn't fully believe her when she said it, but Alla was being completely honest when she said I wouldn't want to eat but a snack until dinnertime. I ate the leftover fruit around 2pm and didn't eat again until 6pm. It was amazingly filling and I felt SO GOOD all day.

Alla and her husband, Rick (who ate breakfast with us and is an amazing man!) knew I wanted to run and suggested the Cedar Ridge Preserve. I was excited to give it a go. The first day I hiked about 5 miles and the second day I did a more treacherous trail and clocked about 3.5 miles. I LOVE to hike. I wish we lived closer, I would go daily.
Can you see what the sign says? Surreal.

I'm sure you can't get the scope of just how steep this is for real, but let me just say that I had to stop a couple times for a breather at different moments on this hike. I had such a blast and God revealed and clarified so many truths to me in the quiet of the cedar trees. I am so in love!

I'm a dork, I know, but I LOVE the way this looks...

Texas is so perdy!
This is amazing to me, but Alla said there is 1 open-air surgical center in Europe and it's in the cedar forest. Apparently it's the cleanest air on earth. God certainly does make amazing things!

By Sunday I was itching to go home and see my babies. I did my studies and decided to head to Cedar Hill to shop a little. The first stop found me a little 50's style dress at Ross that I then spent hours finding accessories for. I called the sitter as soon as I found the perfect red nail polish and lipstick and scheduled a surprise lunch date for Allan and I. I decided that since I put God first all weekend, like I was supposed to, I'd make sure Allan was my second priority and the kids third.
I found a beautiful red bow I intended to wear in my hair, but when I tried it on it looked AWFUL against all the grays. So...I drove around and around looking for one salon that was A) open and B) did color. I finally found one and that was totally a divine appointment. The stylist and I had an amazing conversation while she worked on bringing me back down to my age again. She straightened it for me when she was done and even the next morning it still looked great!

So after I had my third and final amazingly fantastically perfect organic European breakfast lovingly prepared by Alla, I was on my way home looking like this...except looking now, I guess I had forgotten to put on my stockings and pearls.

Allan and I had a wonderful lunch here in town and went to get the babies presents afterward. He was STUNNED, (I have such a great husband) when I pulled into the driveway. All his favorite things...ME, in a dress, in heels, with tights with a seam, with red lipstick and inviting him to lunch just us. I'm so lucky to have such an easily pleased man. LOL

Then we came home to my babies!! Ugh, I swear the best part of leaving is coming back! I didn't even come into the house when I picked Allan up for our date because I knew if I did I would scoop them up and snuggle them and not leave. I'm not sure they would have let me leave again anyway! Except maybe Corbin. He wasn't down with the hair/makeup. I don't think he recognized me.

There's Violet playing with her tea set next to the beautiful roses Allan got me to match my lips and nails :)

Aaaaaand, I had to put "normal" clothes on and put my hair in a ponytail before he would let me hold him. What a funny boy! But once he recognized me again he didn't let me put him down for a LONG time. I don't mind, I love my cuddle bugs.

So...I had a really great time, and I wish I had more time to write about what I learned while I was gone. Rest assured I have pages full in my notebook. I learned 2 things when I came home, though, that I'll leave you with.
1. You can let the separation move you apart from the ones you love, or you can let it move you closer. I pray I always choose to let the time apart move me closer.
2. It doesn't matter how much sleep you "caught up" on or how well rested your weekend was, the first night back home with your kids who wake up 4x will throw you right back to the exhaustion you suffered before you left.
Hope ya'll have had a Blessed week. I love and miss you all :)


Melissa Aulds said...

Oh girl! I have tears in my eyes, I am so glad you had such a beautiful time!

Gayle said...

What a wonderfully relaxing weekend. I would love to do that, but only if my husband went along. I would want to share it all with him. The hiking looks fun. We went for a walk in the woods last night I think for the first time and it was great.